Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Giraffe "Sculpture"

Driftwood in shape of giraffe head
Giraffe head driftwood
Tonight I talked the kids into some painting projects, so that I could finally tackle the giraffe project I've been planning since... oh my, August 2008, when our family took a trip to Quadra Island, and I found a tall (over 5') piece of driftwood which looked awfully like a giraffe's head.

I had decided to try to paint it, to bring out its "inner giraffe", and then put it somewhere on the edge of my garden, maybe sticking out into a pathway (like along our stairs from the lower to upper back yard).

At first, I wondered if I had made a mistake, trying to paint it, but when it's done now, I think the result is amazing:
Painted giraffe driftwood sculpture
Painted giraffe driftwood
Giraffe driftwood sculpture
Ha, this is a funny angle. Looks like he's chewing.
Funny painted giraffe driftwood
I think I'm too fond of it already, this giraffe may end up inside the house for a while, perhaps until next spring. If I'm smart, I'll incorporate him into the upper garden reno project which I'm still hoping to take on this year.

The kids also finished their projects. My son painted a fence knob (hmmm, there is probably a proper name for this) which we picked it up at a whim from a bin at the cedar shop, thinking it would make a cute little person for the yard some day. Sure enough, my son managed to make it into a little lady:
Painted fence knob lady
My daughter finished our last wooden birdhouse:
Painted birdhouse
Ha, now I'll have to figure out how to get some of these birdhouses out into the yard, rather than on my kitchen counter. (See my previous post.)

6 comments:

Joyful said...

That is a wonderful giraffe! I've always loved giraffes :-) and was fortunate enough to see them up close (in Kenya).

Garden Lily said...

The Greater Vancouver Zoo has a great viewing platform, so you're standing at head level to the giraffes. But seeing them in their natural environment must be pretty spectacular.

Laura Gardens in Desert said...

Totally Cool Piece!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness.....that giraffe is too cool! It's a good thing your creative mind was working when you saw the driftwood lying there, and you saw its potential. I would have to keep it inside too!! Your kids' projects are adorable.

Flowers said...

Wow...These Giraffe "Sculpture" looks wonderful. I have never seen anything like it. Keep it up the good work.

Morhu said...

What a great arts and crafts day! Your garden will be even more fantastic with all these additions :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin