Monday, April 06, 2015

Surprise Rhodo Purchase and Dreams of Cherry Cheesecake

A landscaper knows what type of spot (size, orientation, sun, etc) needs filling, and finds a plant suitable for it.

A gardener has various spots available, and watches for plants suitable for them, and sometimes moves them about to find better spots for them.

A plant collector has no garden space available, but buys a plant because he/she must have it, even though 5 minutes before he/she didn't know about this plant, and then proceeds to find a space for it, whether it means lawn must be removed, or other plants need to be hacked back to make room.

I am definitely a plant collector.

Tonight I walked into a Canadian Tire store, looking for a moss killer for my lawn.  After 10 years, it has built up to being more moss than grass in many areas.  I don't care about the look of it, I quite like the look of moss.  However, it gets to be very wet and squishy, and takes a LONG time to dry out, so is not so good for enjoying the yard.  So finally after 10 years of letting the moss grow, I am planning to fight it back, and restore the lawn, at least somewhat.

I found a moss killer, although it wasn't the format I was looking for.  I still had extra time, so I bought a cheap pair of $10 bypass pruners, since they felt reasonably good in my hands, and my current pruners are pretty much at end of life.  I still had a bit more time, so I went outside to look at the plants.  Canadian Tire never carries anything very exotic, it is basic landscaping plants and basket stuffers, for the most part.  For curiosity, I looked at the tags of a few rhododendrons.  I was surprised to see a rhodo with the name Hachmann's something-or-other.  Since I fell in love with a rhodo "Hachmann's Charmant" a couple of years ago at a specialty rhododendron farm, but only took photos, and tried to think about where I would plant it, and then never returned to buy it.  (Probably because it was information overload at the time, and I decided to study their rhodo list a bit more before deciding.)

Anyhow, here is the photo I've been carrying around (on my phone) of Hachmann's Charmant :
Beautiful Hachmann's Charmant Rhododendron
Isn't it pretty?

Anyhow, I flipped the tag on a small rhodo today, and the photo was just as pretty.  The name was "Cherry Cheesecake".   I love cheesecake!  The description indicated that it was just like Hachmann's Charmant, but a more compact shape.  OMG.  It was true love on the spot!

So I brought home the small plant (it is probably only 8" tall), and will find him a cherished spot.  I think in the front yard, where others can adore him also.

Here is a photo of my beloved Cherry Cheesecake, from a UK based plant nursery's web page :
Beautiful Cherry Cheesecake Rhododendron (not my photo)
I can't wait until I have the chance to plant him in.  I'm so excited.

1 comment:

Shop hoa TPHCM said...

Hiện cửa hàng có rất nhiều dòng sản phẩm hoa chúc mừng khai trương khác nhau từ hoa khai truong giá rẻ, đến hoa chúc mừng khai trương cửa hàng, công ty, hội nghị, tiệc , hoa đẹp chúc mừng công ty…

Vòng hoa tang lễ đẹp – vòng hoa đám tang thành kính thương tiếc sẻ chia nỗi đau thương mất mát với gia đình. Hoa tang le viếng đám tang thay cho những lời nói chia buồn sâu sắc nhất

Blog Widget by LinkWithin