Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Plant Salvage Mission

I am proud to report that yesterday morning I went on a plant salvage mission. That is, saving plants from impending demolition, and finding them a good home.

I've had my eye on this particular house for probably six months now, since the tree protection fencing (orange plastic) and survey stakes went in. Last week, the gas was disconnected, and yesterday when I visited, the hydro meter was removed also. So it could be gone in days, and with it any living thing on that lot. I knew there were raspberries there, and also a peony, perhaps more. It would be a shame if they were all dug under.

I was happy to run into the next door neighbour, and ask her if she thought the owner would mind if I dug up some plants before the house was demolished. She told me that nobody had really lived in that house for 5 years now. The previous owner lived there for about 20 years. I was happy to hear that, since any plants which survived that long without care would definitely be hardy!!

So I dug up and carried whatever I could fit in the trunk. Two peonies, quite a few raspberry canes, strawberry plants, narcissus bulbs, and a few others which I couldn't quite identify, but look pretty promising, since the dried stalks from last year indicated tall and sturdy flower stalks. One looked thistle-like. I mused that the leaves looked almost like the cardoon which I have so painstakingly (I don't enjoy seed-starting) started from seeds, and only now transplanted a small seedling into the garden.

I spent a good part of the day planting these into my garden. I've placed many of them into the very front of my yard, in an area which was too inhospitable (probably too wet) for the hebes which the landscaper had installed, and is home to heather and horsetails. The weather was perfect, threatening to rain, but ending up being only overcast. Since I didn't know how long I would be able to continue (I'm a wimp when it comes to rain), I pushed myself hard, and was sweaty and dirty from head to toe when I was done.

This morning, I was relieved that it was starting to rain lightly, so I wouldn't be tempted to go and dig up more. Instead, I planted in some strawberries and a few more daffodils. By noon, it was raining hard, so I am now inside, catching up on work around the house (okay, and blogging also).

I didn't have any good photos from my mission, and it's too wet to take photos of the plants in their new garden beds, so I've inserted some Microsoft clip art instead. Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin